- 3rd grade of elementary students – Jr. high school students (Age: 9 or 10 - 14 or 15)
- Saturday, Aug 3– Wednesday, Aug 7, 2019 (4 nights)
3 days research activity with a team (member: Lecturer, Elementary students, Jr. high students, High school student, University student or MC/DC student (volunteer))
*For University students!! We are recruiting volunteers to work together with us. Please feel free to contact us if you are interested in volunteer work at Coral Reef Science Camp 2018 in Kikai-jima.
- High school students (Age: 15 - 18)
- Saturday, Aug 3 – Wednesday, Aug 14, 2019 (11 nights)
Extended “higher-class” fieldwork and research activity at KIKAI Institute for another week after Junior Course. The participants will learn how to write a research report.
Junior Course: 36 pax
Advanced Course: 12 pax
*The minimum amount of running participant is 10 students.
*In case of too many applications, we will hold a draw for slot allocation.
Junior Course: 50,000 JPY
Advanced Course: 100,000 JPY
- Participation fee includes:
Accommodation, meal, insurance, travel expense during the program, research material fee
- Participation fee does NOT include:
Travel expense between your house and Kikai island
- "Amami islands discount" is for the participant who is elementary, junior high, and high school student in Amami islands.
What to bring:
Clothes (for 4 days, for fieldwork), Sneakers, Sandals (for beach fieldwork), Swimwear, T-shirt and Half-pants (for marine fieldwork), Groves, Cap, Bath towels (at least 2 towels), Beach towels (at least 2 towels), Notebook, Stationery, Health insurance card, Necessary medicine, Sunscreen, Insect repellant, Sleeping bag
Snorkel, Snorkel mask, Fins (Rental products are available at KIKAI Institute)
How to apply:
Via website "Apply here!" or E-mail with participant's personal information:
1. Participant's Name
2. School Grade (Age)
4. Home address
5. Guardian's (or parent's) Name
6. Contact information (TEL and E-mail address)
7. The participant's motivation for this program
8. "What you are expecting of Coral Reef Science Camp 2018 in Kikai-jima."
If you apply via E-mail, please send to the following address with subject line "Apply for Coral Reef Science Camp";
mail: mail (at) kikaireefs.org (Please replace "at" with "@.")
CLOSED!! THANK YOU FOR APPLYING!! *2018.07.01
May 12 - Jun 30, 2019
KIKAI Institute for coral reef sciences
e-mail：mail (at) kikaireefs.org (Please replace "at" with "@.")
- Meeting and dismissal at Kikai island.
- Please feel free to contact us if you have a question about transportation (to Kikai island).
- Guardians (or Parents) can accompany the participant to Kikai island. We kindly ask you to refrain from attending the full program. However, we have some events that the parents attend the program (Welcome party, Symposium, and Farewell party).
- All participants will get travel insurance. Insurance fee is included.
- The program may change in case of rain.
- If the flight is canceled due to a typhoon or bad weather, the program will also be canceled.
- We will send you detail information (including cancel policy) and an application form if you apply via this website. Please read all documents and resend a filled application form.
Q：Can you pick participants up at Kikai Airport or Kikai ferry terminal to KIKAI Institue?
A：Yes we can. Please let us know your flight/ferry schedule if you need to be picked up.
Q：Where will participants stay during the program?
A：In KIKAI institute. We have large rooms for accommodation.
Q：Can the parents attend the program, too?
A：Sorry. We kindly ask you to refrain from attending the full program because we promote children's' independent learning and activity. However, we have some events where parents can attend the program (Welcome party, Symposium, and Farewell party).
Q：Can you reserve the accommodation for the parents?
A：Sorry, we cannot. Please, reserve accommodation by yourself. We can give you the hotel information in Kikai island if you need.